This idea is widespread, and we believe it applies to your language learning as well. Obviously, learning something new requires discipline and dedication. There is no magic formula, the only irreplaceable thing is perseverance, this is a basic ingredient. Experts say that mastering a language takes between 18 and 24 months.
We are not saying that with 15 minutes a day for two years you will reach perfect fluency, but we are saying that whatever time you dedicate, depending on your availability, should be daily as opposed to only once or twice a week. However, there are other points to keep in mind, such as: your current level of English, if you live in an English-speaking country, how much do you practice – practice every day with Daily Immersion or our Fluency Pro or Fluency Plus programs, your natural ability to learn languages, among other factors.
The time you spend does not have to be with your nose stuck in books like a bookworm, or listening to high school style classes with a teacher that you don’t even like, under a methodology which you do not feel comfortable. . . You can make your own immersion in the language of your choice with a few simple adjustments to your daily routines.
• Put everything in the language you want to learn. Fill your home -if your parents allow you to- with stickers that remind you of the name of everything in your home.
• Watch movies and series in their original version without subtitles. It will be hard at first, but the ear gets used to it quickly. If you feel you are going crazy at first, you can choose to put subtitles in the original language.
• Make friends in that language. Sign up for a group or language exchange, and if you live in a big city, look for activities in that language (Meetup is a good place to research). Launching into talking is one of the most effective ways to learn, therefore practice as much as you can.
• Listen to your podcasts or prerecorded audios in the language you want to learn while you are in the car, on the subway or on the bus.
• Browse and chat on the internet on sites in the language you want to learn.
• Read texts in that language. As with series and movies, at first it may take you a bit to get used to, however with practice you are going to get better.
At @keeptalkingco we have the methodology that will help you reach your goal. No matter how often you make mistakes, no matter how much you stutter…at the beginning you will always be translating in your head, but that’s okay. Despite all that, what matters is that day after day you will gain fluency and you will find that you can not only follow conversations perfectly, but you enjoy more, feel more confident and make fewer mistakes. Nobody is going to judge you. We have a group of professionals who will let you make mistakes and then follow up on them in the feedback sessions. They will take you to the rhythm that you need or want. Do not waste any more time, we are looking forward to seeing you at our meetings.